So many “shoulds” are popping up. Whether you are looking around and what you see in others that you “want” or you feel like you need to be a certain way for others, the list goes on and on about all the self-improvements you want to make as a woman, a mother, in your career, your family life, your marriage, your body…I could go on. Can you feel the heaviness in all of that?
This year, let’s simplify. Before we start adding to all the lists, just as yourself this one question...
Am I just existing or am I thriving?You might have been “just existing” for so long that you don’t even know what thriving looks like. When we are in the noise and the business it’s hard to even have awareness of what something different might feel like.
There is a massive difference between thriving and existing.Just existing can be very sneaky because it can even be a habit.
Signs you are existing:
You make decisions that keep you small and safe
You don’t try new things
You react rather than respond
When you make a mistake, you look at is as failure rather than feedback
You can’t hear your inner voice and what others say and think about you is what you take as truth
You feel restricted rather than expansive
You feel like slowing down is wasting time
You push and push through the week rather than feeling the pull of peace and balance.
You feel like your body isn’t supporting you - low energy, poor digestion, lack of sleep and so on.
So WHY is it worth checking in with yourself, taking a breath and just listening?
Because you deserve to be happy. A hamster wheel existence keeps you apart from remembering your wholeness. Keeps you from experiencing the potential of what this life has to offer. Keeps you from being able to pour into others using your gifts. Keeps you from feeling peace in your life and balance in your days.
So what now? You’ve decided that perhaps you have been just existing. How does that influence what you want for this year?
It means you should tune in and get choosy. Marie Kondo what is happening within you and around you. Ask yourself, do you need it? Do you love it? Does it bring you joy? Ask this about what you take in as food, how you spend your time, where you spend your money, what you watch, etc.
Start to live by the 80/20 rule…because it allows you to give yourself grace. For example, you might not have a say in 20% of the people you surround yourself with, but for the other 80%, get choosy.
Get choosy about what you take in through your five senses. It all affects you.
Get choosy about what you put in your mouth…not based on the latest trend, but by how it makes you FEEL.
Slow down and begin to be aware of how you feel and it will change what you choose to hold on to, commit to, allow in, put out and spend time on.
This year, choose to start with awareness. It’s the light on the path of thriving.